Studies and researches on amber stone reveal some of the amazing facts about the Neolithic times. Therefore, this unique gem ranks amongst the most crucial and significant specimens of the pre-historic times.
When it comes to choosing top-grade amber, buyers come across quite a few color options. Apart from the classic ‘ambre’ or yellowish shade, you will also find Green and Blue amber stones. With the widespread popularity and ever-increasing demand for amber, jewelry makers are creating some of the ethereal and amazing pieces of amber jewelry.
Choosing the color
It’s here that the choice of the color plays a highly crucial role. Blue and Green Amber have a splendid, spectacular, and majestic appearance. Jewelry crafted from these stones will inevitably take your look to unsurpassed heights.
However, before investing in blue-colored amber stones, buyers must have a crystal clear idea of it. Take a look at the seven crucial points, which reveal a lot about this spectacular gem.
- The origin and discovery Green, blue, yellow, and red, amber stones come in diverse colors. However, it’s the blue one captivating most of your attention. These stones are not found everywhere and are mostly seen along the Santiago and Dominican Republic mountain ranges.
- Refractive propertiesThe blue color in these stones results out of refraction. When the natural light gets refracted by the striking white surface of the stone, it imparts a unique blue tinge to it. Blue-colored amber also contains hydrocarbons which add to the stone’s glow.
- Exclusive specimens The refractive properties and a special glow in blue-colored amber are only present in the Dominican variety. Apart from that, you can also find this characteristic feature in some of the Indonesian and Mexican varieties. Baltic amber will not exhibit such properties, as the resin is not obtained from the Hymenaea protera trees.
- Fluorescence emissionsRecent studies on this particular amber variety reveal a lot about fluorescence emissions. According to experts, the blue variety displays intense emissions within the 430 and 530 nm range. However, the ‘yellow’ and ‘red’ varieties exhibit low-frequency emissions.
- Appearance of the stone If you place the blue variety in artificial light, it will have an ordinary appearance. Once you view it in sunlight, the stone will have a bright, fluorescent, and striking glow. Some of these stones can also emit a unique milky-blue glow when placed UV light.
- Odor With the presence of aromatic molecules, the blue variety has an exceptional odor which happens to be quite different from the other varieties. The hues or colors can be anything between light, dark, and milky blue, as well as black.
- Gradations Leading and pioneering exporters such as DR Fine Jewels offer Blue amber belonging to three gradations. While buying amber, you will come across the AAA, AAB, and ABB varieties.
With these seven significant aspects in mind, you will end up buying the right product.